MENU

GOOD GIRL: Dog saves family from house fire in Lebanon early Wednesday

Fire poodle.jpg
A poodle named Maggie was credited for saving her family during a house fire early Wednesday. (Photo provided to Fox 17 News)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A Lebanon family says they are alive today thanks to their family dog Maggie.

The family was asleep in their Cole Ferry Pike home in Lebanon when it caught fire early Wednesday. The house has been called a total loss, but the family's dog help ensured it wasn't a complete tragedy.

The residents said one of their two pet poodles barked and alerted them of the fire before even the smoke detector went off. Maggie made sure her family — including her fellow poodle pal Morgan — got out before the flames spread.

Two people were in the home and another two were in a nearby camper as the fire began on the back porch of the home. By the end, the home was completely destroyed. It's unknown how the fire started at this time.

Along with the residents, firefighters were able to save some important things, but for the most part, everything in the home was lost. However, the family and the pair of poodles were unharmed.

The Red Cross has been called to help the family following the fire.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER